RM: Would you say something about your early musical training and tastes? I was amused to read that, at one time, you had hoped to devote your life to playing the works of Debussy.

ES: In this, I was well in advance of him. Until I had found that like a picnic, they had all brought very cold veal. "You have a lovely white dress." "Listen, an areoplane."
"Oh no, it's a storm." He is French, after all.

RM: Would you comment on your statement in A Simple Question; and I quote, "In many places sweet and excellent silence has been replaced by bad music."?

ES: Well, which do you prefer: Music or Ham? In my coffee grounds...I often consult them,...for fun. I am very fond of coffee, especially if it's good.

RM: What do you think about the terms "meaning" and "symbolism" in connection with Two Preludes for a Dog?

ES: I am going to a billiards match. What a great match! Napoleon will be there. The billiards, Napoleon, I mean of course!...THE REAL ONE. Or at least a very good likeness...Get out now!...Off like a gun!...Come back in ten minutes...I shan't be here.